The Official Collection of Fantastical Creature Information--Updated Randomly

For all your fantastical creature needs! This is the beginning of my encyclopedia, and I'm collecting as much information as I can on various fantasy creatures. Most of my stuff can be found on wikipedia. However, no source is perfect, so the stuff that is my input is often italicized. Help me by sending me more information at Questkid13@gmail.com

Side Note: There have been concerns about my using Wikipedia because it is not a reliable resource. I am well aware of wikipedia's unreliable nature--but that's exactly why I use it. Fantasy creatures are available to all, and everyone should have a chance to add their "discoveries." This website is supposed to be a fun collection of fantastical creature information with fun images to go with. I am not a reliable source--I'm just a collector. Though at this point, I am flattered that people are concerned with the validity of my site. :)

!!!!This is NOT a forum. Comments are to be informative and generally helpful. Clean humor is acceptable, but NOT if it detracts from the entry. This site is to help people find out more about fantastical creatures!!!

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Grindylow


A grindylow is a mythological creature that originated from folktales in the English county of Yorkshire. A grindylow is a pale green creature that lives in the weed beds on the bottom of lakes in Britain. It is also known as a water demon. Grindylows have long, brittle fingers which they use to grip their prey, sharp little horns, and green teeth.



Grindylows are a sort of "bogeyman" used as a ploy to keep children from getting in the cold water in the area. They were to grab little children with their long arms and fingers and devour them if they came close to the edge of pools, marshes, or ponds.


Lupin taught his third year students about them. Grindylows in the lake near Hogwarts attacked the Triwizard champions during the second task. However, some grindylows appear to have been domesticated by merpeople.


Aside from this, little is known about the Grindylow or there habits....please help by contributing information...however inaccurate....


A special thanks to Wikipedia and to J.K. Rowling

and to the amazing artist who managed to draw this grindylow before drowning dramatically and whose image is now floating everywhere on the internet...

No comments: