The Official Collection of Fantastical Creature Information--Updated Randomly

For all your fantastical creature needs! This is the beginning of my encyclopedia, and I'm collecting as much information as I can on various fantasy creatures. Most of my stuff can be found on wikipedia. However, no source is perfect, so the stuff that is my input is often italicized. Help me by sending me more information at Questkid13@gmail.com

Side Note: There have been concerns about my using Wikipedia because it is not a reliable resource. I am well aware of wikipedia's unreliable nature--but that's exactly why I use it. Fantasy creatures are available to all, and everyone should have a chance to add their "discoveries." This website is supposed to be a fun collection of fantastical creature information with fun images to go with. I am not a reliable source--I'm just a collector. Though at this point, I am flattered that people are concerned with the validity of my site. :)

!!!!This is NOT a forum. Comments are to be informative and generally helpful. Clean humor is acceptable, but NOT if it detracts from the entry. This site is to help people find out more about fantastical creatures!!!

Monday, July 9, 2007

Doppelgänger

Doppelgängers are monstrous, infamous for their shapeshifting abilities, which allow them to mimic almost any humanoid creature. They are lazy but cunning creatures, who kill or dispose of people then assume their place. They are not downright evil, but extremely self-centered and liable to look down on their victims. In their true form, doppelgängers appear as tall, elfin, gray-skinned humanoids, whose thin bodies make them appear (to human eyes) sexless. Even this form is deceptive, since it has no visible muscle mass, suggesting they are physically unfit, when in fact they are quite strong and agile.
Doppelgängers hate working, and so usually assume the forms of people who are well off in society, commonly working in groups so as to be able to replace the entire family and leave the servants working for them. Doppelgängers are believed to be an artificial race, created by some mad wizard, and to this day have a fondness for working with the magically inclined; mainly being used as assassins or in elaborate plots to usurp power.
Doppelgänger families tend not to be close; usually a male and female meet, engage in casual sex, then leave one another, with the female being forced to single-handedly rear any resulting newborns—who will leave their mother upon reaching maturity. Some doppelgängers, however, form tightly knit family clusters, while others will mate with humanoids, taking malicious delight in using their non-doppelgänger spouse as a cover for their inhumanity. Children born of such unions have a chance of being a half-doppelgänger.



wow....these are weird...anywho...

A special thanks to Wikipedia....

I'm not sure I want to know more about these things...

4 comments:

Jekka Goaty Senoj said...

That's a scary creature! But would be an awesome creature to use in a story!

If you want an orc picture. Try checking out John Howe's website: www.john-howe.com. he does a lot of artwork for Lord of the Rings. You can't save any pictures from his site (they're copyrighted) but you can try typing in the title in the google search engine and see if you can find the image there.

Anonymous said...

ok cool........ BUT WHERE ARE DRAGONS!!!! some of us need them to live!

Ethenielle Teir'elenia said...

Lol Anonymous! I've actually been avoiding dragons for a while now because of the huge variations in species. They've been covered by so many other fantasy experts that I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. There's the wingless and two legs vs. four and the horned and the various subspecies and elements...

Anonymous said...

I agree. The dragon race does have a wide variation in species. I myself have attempted to record descriptions and characteristics of them, but I always end up making a short five to ten pages profile into a novel consisting of over 20 or so pages. Dragons are interesting creatures, but one of the hardest faeries to document. Update more fantastical creatures!!!